Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Deep Thoughts: Shattuck Speaks

It just happened...my 'ah-ha' moment. Well it happened this weekend when I was cruising thru the ADKs. It is very serene there. Also, there is zero effing cell service.

Did I just graduate from struggling twenty-something bootcamp? Ladies and gentleman say hello to a fresh THRIVING twenty-something. Golly it's great!

Appropriately we newbies are almost 12 whole months out of college. Was the cube just a little cocoon, an incubator where we've been able to test our skills?

The Boss Man has preached endlessly to us at the Monday Morning Meetings about the ridiculous opportunity available to our young, blinded eyes and how we need to have a chip on our shoulder to really get ahead. More often than not we have a chip on our shoulder but it's
just as mis-guided as we are. Cause I see the opportunity for sure but my "chip" is wondering why the EFF am I dialing through a list for over 40hours each week. Telling us it is the hardest job in the company doesn't make me think "gimme that phone so I can smile and dial!" ; it makes me wonder why it's not reflected in my paycheck. And living at my parent's house doesn't make me think "holla for getting to save some dolla!"; it makes me cry every time I'm have to call and 'check in' with Mom to get permission to stay out later (there's nothing like having to be re-housebroken).

But everything starts to make sense. And you begin to realize your abilities are what opens up that opportunity. And actually taking responsibility of that should get you a diploma in itself...our whole lives (in school, sports, etc) opportunity and success were handed out like those participation trophies you got for playing rec soccer. This is a whole new level of play.

Thank goodness my mom doesn't read my blog (God forbid she actually admit I have something of value to say), because living at home has been an integral part of my twenty-something progression. It's been a good, I appreciate having a supportive family - even though I wish they
could support me from beyond a 5mile radius. And I do actually enjoy living at home (is this the apocalypse?)

The inner-workings of my mind are entirely profound. But not enough to keep me from crashing a sorority formal this weekend at the Hilton when I was in VT (in all fairness, my friend and I thought it was the frat formal. the sisters didn't even know how to deal - one of their heads started spinning around like a Chuckie doll).

The Real World is ready to move on to the upcoming grads now that it's had some fun hazing us...suckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment