Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Two Sense



The weak economy has sharply reduced mail volume as companies cut their advertising. At the same time there has been a significant drop in lucrative first-class mail, with more and more people turning to the Internet to communicate with each other as well as to receive and pay bills. [YahooFinance]
Get ready to empty your pockets, stamps are going up 2-cents, all the way up to 46!! I remember (back in the day) when they were 32-cents. It was actually in 5th grade...the only reason I know that is because a friend borrowed a stamp and legitimately paid me back in pennies. At which point I proceeded to heckle my classmates for three more pennies in order to buy a Little Debbie at lunch. True story.

I digress.

There's nothing like a hand-written letter. Honestly though, these days when people are texting their kids to come in for dinner (har-har-har), if somebody takes the time to draft, craft and send a letter or card, it means something. But here's some twenty-something two sense for the Pony Express...snail mail is not cost-effective. At all. Neither are land-lines or the Yellow Pages.

An extra two cents is not going to pull The Fed out of our ga-jillion dollar deficit. Logically it's all wrong. Fact: the last time I went to a post office was December 2008. I can do everything online, and my gas station sells stamps. Fact: the post office has more vacation days than the unemployed...maybe they should work when the rest of America is not working (duh - I get to The Office circa 7:45am, leave circa 5:30pm. No I will not wait in line with every other shmuck on my lunch hour to send a package. And waking up before noon on most Saturdays is out of the question...wouldn't it make sense for post office hours to run like 12pm-7pm? Also, I propose they hire English speaking employees).

Then again, our president can't even beat a hermaphrodite in a race for Facebook fans...

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment