Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Collective Cubicle Thinking

We've all had those family gatherings. You know. The ones after you've had a night out...that night out. You've all had that night.

Crammed in the backseat with the man-child-17-year-old-brother and wisdom-toothless-sister for three hours is just additional incentive to never do jaeger bombs before family bonding. Seems a lot like those Wednesday lunch meetings we have. There was even free pizza.

Drove to see some family friends up visiting from the South. You know. The ones you grew up with...those friends. You've all had those friends. They're awesome.

The adults were cute. Catching up, reminiscing about their twenty-something days, the shenanigans. My Uncle Butch joked, "Engage Maverick, engage!!!" and handed me a gin and tonic. Ah, practically family. So I was trying to sit up straight when I overheard my momma telling the group, "Yeah El Prez is still without central air in her apartment. Dad wanted buy an A/C unit. But I told him not to." In all fairness, I did move out to be removed from their umbrella of financial security. But damnit. A gift is a gift!

So here's a lesson for getting what you want in life:

Since Colby, Corkey, J-woww and I are all out on our own without central air, the past week has been humid hell. I shared the "I told him not to" story about the A/C unit and the guys got all protective. And creative. Nealon said to just tell my parents not to even worry about their first born baby girl in the dire heat...and to tell them that I found some guy to share his A/C with me. Colby said, "Tell them you found a few." Air conditioning and his own place...girl's gotta have standards right?

Oh. My poor papa. (I'll expect my new cooling system within the week)

After a solid six weeks sans air conditioning, the cubes have collectively answered my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment