Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Paycheck Woes

What's better than being a twenty-something with a salary?

Owning a twenty-something with a salary.

Yes, that's right. I'm like those kids you see at the mall or zoo who have a leash/harness. My mom likes to toggle the strings of my purse every chance she can, attacking me with every new department store mailer, every fresh discount and BOGO cut-out. Living out her dreams of glamor through her daughters.

"You need a trendy watch. And some aviators!"...really? Because I've definitely been wearing aviators since I was 16. And she's always hated them. But now that they cost $95 they're sooooooo cute, a must have. Too bad I rock the wayfarers now.

She already spends Daddy's money, so why not mine? How about I instead give her a paper-doll with my likeness. That way she'll be able to cut/paste/accessorize at will...it's like the ugly cousin of practicing voo-doo.

In this day and age, danger lurks around every corner...fake Gucci bags, expired coupons, Lady Gaga. A spend-happy parent should be the least of a young professional's worries.

To off-set expenses and mitigate risks there are plenty of opportunities to jump start that nest egg. Instead of ski trips, opt for drunk sledding at a local park. Only accept a job offer if they have a company coffee machine. Find a college bar with a 25c draft night. And remember that happy hour is only worthwhile if the boss is paying. And by all means do NOT hand over any financial information to your parents. Especially your HSBC debit card.

No comments:

Post a Comment