Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

love to puck


It's better to burn out than to fade away - neil young

In addition to the morning gym ritual (wtf!) I do some late night drag-racing down 490; but mostly I stick to hockey. Love to puck. It's a great group of girls...well, ladies? females ranging from ages 21-65? (at what point do you stop saying "going out with the boys" and make it "going out with the guys/men"...girls/ladies... shit I'm offending everyone now.)

Mostly they think I'm out of my mind anyways because I drive like a maniac and cruise around with a shit-grin on my face and somehow end up in the penalty box.

So Kelty and I were on the bench between shifts at our game last night. As we're chatting, she asked what I did...[insert generic job description, entry-level babble]...she gave a nod. Then asked how old I was.

'Twenty-something...23 to be exact.' She asked how I liked it. And maybe I over-emphasized how much I like being twenty-something...but I mean, it's funnn! There's nobody to answer to, nobody to look after. Obviously I have no clue what I'm doing or where I'm going. But if I don't walk into my apartment until 6:30am on a Friday from a night out - only to shower and show up to work - who the hell is going to stop me?

Well, Kelty had just turned 24. She shrugged a bit to my response, then said what every one of us feels deep down (even if we fake it): "Yeah, I mean it's okay. It's a tough age because you don't know really what you want or like, what you're doing. Now at least we get a little more respect in the professional world 'cuz we're not fresh out of school anymore, but, yeah I dunno."

Shit...right? Life's heavy stuff. But if we're chilling in this in-between, might as well lay back and enjoy the ride, eh? Them chrome pipes.

And then my other twenty-something teammate Cooper says, "If you can't dazzle them with your skills, then baffle them with your bullshit."

Ha. Guess we're all out of our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment