Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

A Modern Family Moment

Modern Family is on ABC (I think...) on Wednesday nights (of this, I am certain).

Premise:

Manny, little hispanic boy, was out star gazing with his aging step-father, Jay, and gay middle-aged step-brother, Mitchell. At first Mitchell was up in arms about Manny cutting in on his father-son time with Jay. He has a good bout of pout. Then Jay serves up some humble pie and reveals to Mitchell that lil' Manny wasn't invited to some big party; some kids he thought were his friends thinks he is weird...

Thus:

If you follow "Modern Family", then you know that Manny's got an old soul - it's like watching your grandfather in a pudgy, pre-pubescent wetback's body [disclaimer: I am 1/5 Mexican. Also - freedom of speech.] Mitchell, is all too familiar with being an outcast. He comforts Manny by saying, "This is the funny thing about growing up. For years and years, everybody's desperately afraid to be different - in any way. And then suddenly, almost overnight everybody wants to be different. And that is where we win."

Case in Point:

Having the courage to spice shit up and go against the grain does pay off. I won't buy into the idea that the kids playing 'Magic: The Gathering' in the corner of the cafeteria really did "win"...everyone knows that Star Wars trumps Magic, Harry Potter and Star Trek any day. We twenty-somethings have to do it every day. We lack the experience, so we have to fall back on funk to move forward.

Every day on Facebook, spastic Tweets, anything that's going to grab ATTENTION - we'll do it. Part of the thrill from binge drinking is the accumulation of outrageous stories. Just the other weekend I outdid my college self by puking on Main Street in my college town...apparently I kept trying to shove my head through the opening in the lid. Thank heavens some one removed the lid so that I could give a good clean show. No shame, no shame.

Here in The Office we call Leads all day; Leads that get a million other calls all day from a million other telemarketers selling them something different, better than the last. I called a Lead today and they were all about telling me how they weren't interested in our product. My last-resort retort rolled off my tongue, "Please? I'll be your best friend!!" It didn't get me the appointment, but at least it got me a laugh.

What did you do today to set yourself apart?

No comments:

Post a Comment