Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

GIMME GIMME GIMME

Instant gratification.

Answer honestly: when was the last time you listened to a voicemail? Opened anything in the mail besides your birthday card?

First of all - voicemails are a waste of time and battery. Chances are, if I missed your call I was probably screening it. My phone will tell me at exactly WHAT time I missed YOUR call - please not another "Hi it's _____ and it's _o'clock I'm on my way to the grocery store and wanted to return your call - call me back."

It's high time the rest of the world woke up from this traditional media ice age. Let the Pony Express become a mythological tale...like Pegasus and unicorns. Maybe I'm just sick of getting stacks of payment notices from FedLoan and DirectLoan. But 1) nobody reads mail unless it's a card/letter and B) unless it's my birthday, I don't read cards/letters...because people either text or email me.

Even IMing is a dying dinosaur. Did you know people Skype now? It's video chat. Personally I think it flirts dangerously with a certain intimacy that I save for coffee shop chats and slumber parties. But the girl who throws up in public arenas (ie: airport terminals, Main Street, dorm doorstep, etc) can't exactly preach privacy. At this point I really just don't have the patience to sit down and sign up for yet another "user name" - just one more password that I'm going to forget (so I'll inevitably use the same password that I use for my online banking, and email account, and Lord & Taylor credit card, and PetCo rewards club).

So does that mean I'm falling behind the times? I'm pretty sure my apathy shows how well I fit right in with the GIMME GIMME GIMME generation. Gimme the Skype immediately or don't give it to me at all. My lack of patience totally trumped the need for Skyping. Oh well. Figure that the next best thing is fast on its way down the pipeline (if it's anything like the Willy Wonka TV that allows you to take a chocolate bar out of your television....then BRING IT!).

No comments:

Post a Comment