Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Overtime

Yesterday, a majority of the Office had obligations to our CEO...aka The Man...who has been working on a project. In the final phase, The Project required a diverse group to participate and volunteer their Saturdays (compensation: $25).

Let's preface: I had a fender bender this past Monday. My little '98 Chrysler wasn't much match for the Honda's back bumper, and the hood of my car was crunched. Easy fix. Dad was able to pound it down and the only casualty was the hood latch...

So Saturday I'm up and readying things and running late. Grab keys, start car, off to The Project. I'm on the highway and go to change the radio, cruising along and *WHAM* Hood flies up and cracked the shit out of my windshield, dislodging the rear-view mirror which conveniently nailed me in the head (as if to say "Hey dumb-dumb, Dad said not to drive your car on the highway.").

Stunned but still driving, I pull off to the side of the exit's ramp. Immediately I phone HookerJones in a panic. She assures me that it's okay, that I am okay, and to keep her posted. Phew. Phone parents...

Me: Uh...can some one come pick me up?
Mom: (groggy) Where...are...you?
Me: On the 490. (I then detail the events)
Mom: Sure.

moments later, parents phone back...

Mom: Welllll, do we need two cars?
Me: Mine still drives but the hood won't stay down.
Mom: Well some one didn't put any gas in the Acura.
Me: Okay...?
Mom: So if you can drive it -
Me: Mom I'm shaking, can't one of you just...? You know what, forget it.

Making my way home, the hood flips back up and further busts windshield. I crouch and peer through the small opening, I also crouch to avoid eye contact with fellow automotobilers.

Of course I pass two cop cars chilling in the abandoned gas station.

At the last light, less than a mile from my house, I noticed that the lady walking her dog is staring at me and pointing. The nice friendly cop parked who had followed me is now parked behind me and has exited his car to knock at my window. The nice friendly cop asks, "Are you serious?" The nice friendly cop is ready to write me a ticket for Obstruction of View. At the red light with the cop standing next to me, my poor little Chyrsler is exposed and in pain, I break down and sob like a 4 year old (this would be my third ticket in 18 months. AllState and parents would have a field day). The nice friendly cop just looks at my license, sighed, and said, "Just drive slow. I should be writing your parents a ticket."

I did eventually make it to The Project. The Project is an epic tale on its own. Basically I sat outside the event room with the rejects (the ones who gave up their Saturdays but were not hand-chosen to participate...). I got face time with The Man and then bounced. Text from an insider:

SarahR: "yeah NLSts, its awful. in a way ur lucky ur car crashed and u almost got a ticket and ur windshield about shattered in ur fac...but then again kinda not. i'll give you my 25 dollars [to pull the fire alarm]. what have you been doing all day you missed out on nasty pizza at three oclock."

The event for The Project lasted from 9am-6pm. Hope I still get the $25. I'll put it towards my new car.

No comments:

Post a Comment