Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Boomerang Gang

Gang...generation...all the same.

My fellow twenty-somethings, we are the 'boomerangs'. We've been termed as such because we go away to school and, in most cases, return home.

A brief scan of our floor at The Office: 17 associates...ages 20-29...only 4 live at home with their parents. The term is therefore debatable. Sounds like hype and a little too much eagerness to pin us down. I'm looking to find the figurative twenty-something pulse, it doesn't seem to be saying "boomerang". If anything we're more willing to pack up and peace out to take a less glamorous job away from home (if we cannot find one locally).

My dilemma: why would I chose to move out of my parent's house, only to pay ~$600 for my own place if I'd only be there from 7pm-4:15am on week days? I'm usually asleep for most of that time anyways. As long as I'm still working at The Office, then I'll still be living at home. Even if I don't want to.

Living on my own, I certainly wouldn't be able to afford to spend $30 every time I go to the grocery store on necessary items like window decorations and break-and-bake cookies for The Office.

My point: It's hard times out there! "Boomerang" doesn't exactly do us justice. I'd say we're a lot less dependent than Wall Street and the housing market right now. Without the inexperienced and naive twenty-somethings, willing to do the grunt work and take borderline-abusive pay, who would be keeping capitalism afloat in this country?? And while I'm having this introspective moment, it's important to remember that everyone has to start somewhere. Patience.

And when in doubt, put out!

No comments:

Post a Comment