Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

"How To Make It In America"

Sweet twenty-something perfection!!!



HBO's new series, "How To Make It In America", is all about a couple of hometown pals trying to make it. See? Didn't I say it's all gonna go back to the little man; the individuals??

There's a lot to be said for this...like the mass appeal it could have. But. After some diligent Google searching, with the 40million HBO subscribers and 114.9million homes with televisions in the USofA, I'm sensing a disconnect.

Cuz if one thing is certain, unless you're part of the upper crust (or still riding the wave at your parent's house), then no twenty-something is going to have effin' HBO. Hence, if you're part of the upper crust you probably A) can't relate and B) can rest assured that you've pretty much already made it (or had it made by someone else for you).

Seriously. If I'm really trying to 'make it', my 4:10am-11pm day tends to wrap up with 30seconds of conscious tv viewing circa 11:01pm; at which point I become comatose. Thus, a twenty-something living on their own and paying rent, car payments, insurance, etc will likely NOT be able to afford more than basic cable and will likely NOT be able to afford 60 minutes of engaged viewership.

Being a part of the boomerang gang, I'll venture a guess that plenty of us are still parking it at the parental crib. That'll make up for any data 'disconnect' that I just argued. But then again I really was just arguing for argument's sake.

Conveniently the first episode of "How to Make it in America" is a freeeee iTunes download this week!! Holler! So now you'll have it, commercial-free, for your dreary morning commute. Or you can bum it in your free time. Now we're talking.

Looking forward to an official review of the first episode.

2 comments:

  1. HBO doesn't air their shows the way the major networks do.. and you'd be surprised just how many twenty-somethings do have HBO, which is more than I can say for my access living at home. It's all about who prioritizes what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Media and technology define our generation - perhaps it was just my angst at not having HBO myself?

    ReplyDelete